What's the 1st movie you ever saw in theaters?

What have you seen lately? What are your favorite movies?

What's the 1st movie you ever saw in theaters?

Postby Clare Kennedy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 am

I remember clearly seeing Care Bears The Movie with my family in Morro Bay. It was scary to me. Haha. My mom and dad took my brother and I, because I wanted to see it. Looking back, I can see that this is not my mom or dad's type of movie and I realize they sacrificed a day at the movies for me. :) Although I don't know if it was the first one for me, it's the first one in my memory bank. I know that my dad took me to see Bambi around the same time and I started crying when Bambi's mother was shot and we left. I also saw Cinderella and Fantasia with my mom. Lots of Disney in my childhood. :P

What is the first movie that you ever saw in the movie theaters (or remember seeing)?
Clare Kennedy

Re: What's the 1st movie you ever saw in theaters?

Postby Ben Chiu » Fri May 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I had seen a number of movies at the drive-in before I ever set foot in a movie theater. I believe the first movie I had ever seen in an indoor theater was at a local store named Modell's that had a kiddie area where mom's could drop off their kids while they shopped. They played B&W cartoons on a loop so once you sat through it once, you'd had your fill and look to escape!

I think the first real movie I'd seen in a real theater was either Bambi or Snow White (could have been a double-feature now that I think about it).

EDIT: OK, I asked my mom and she said the first movie in a theater for me was THE WIZARD OF OZ. Now that she said that, I think she's right. I remember being scared by the flying monkeys (who hasn't, right?) :o Anyway, what's interesting is how much that movie influenced my film making. How they used color to enhance the storytelling definitely make an impression on me. I've used that technique many times (including MindScans).

Actually, my mom was (and still is) an avid movie-goer. Looking back now, I remember her taking me to some really questionable movies when I was younger... Perhaps that explains a lot of things! LOL

I'm sure Care Bears wasn't too traumatic! :D

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Ben
===============
~Imagining a world without hypothetical situations...
Ben Chiu

Postby Clare Kennedy » Wed May 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Oh how neat! Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I know my parents let us watch some Richard Pryor movies when we were starting grade school that I think were rated R. :lol:
Clare Kennedy

Postby Ben Chiu » Fri May 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Oh no, my mom took me to see movies that included sex and violence (at the drive-in)! I guess she thought I'd fall asleep. Then again, I think a lot of it was more implied than graphic. But in many ways, the thought(s) are more effective (damaging in my case?!) than showing it.

Andy related to me his first movie last night--which got me to thinking about this more. He should chime in with his story. Vic, talked about his first movie too. Chime in guys!
Ben Chiu

Postby andor » Sat May 11, 2013 4:34 pm

One early movie that immediately comes to mind was the "Outlaw" (1943 Jane Russel, Jack Buetel -Billy the Kid- Dir. H. Hughes) courtesy Google search. ;)
Apart from the one suggestive scene, which set our young 16 year old minds aflame. :shock: was the achievment of actually getting in to see the movie, the classification in those years (1950) being "Not allowed under the age of 18". How we got in is another story 8-)
Andy
andor

Postby Ben Chiu » Wed May 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi, Andy!

Sorry for the delayed reply. Well, you know the story and the gory details.

OK, I think the statute of limitations are over. I played lead guitar in a bar band when I was 16, so I know how to get into those kinds of establishments (ahem!). What did you have to do to get into a movie? I know the check ID at bars, but what did/do they do at the movies? How did you get in? 8-)
Ben Chiu

Return to Talk about movies!