EVOLUTION of FILM

What have you seen lately? What are your favorite movies?

EVOLUTION of FILM

Postby Ben Chiu » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:49 pm

...The following montage chronicles the evolution of film from its conception in 1878 by Edward J. Muybridge to the Lumiere brothers in 1895. Georges Melies a trip to the moon in 1902 was a total game changer and from there we go to the first theatrical releases starting in 1920-2014...

All in three minutes!

I recognize all of the earlier clips and nearly all of the rest, but I'm at a loss why some of the later clips are included. From most of the clips I gather these represent pivotal moments in chronological order that changed cinema, but I'm at a loss why some of at the tail end were included--other than they're cool. For a list of all of the clips, see http://vimeo.com/89445851. In any case, a very nice job!
Ben
===============
~Imagining a world without hypothetical situations...
Ben Chiu

Re: EVOLUTION of FILM

Postby Gadsden » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:14 am

This video is a pretty decent attempt at trying to sum up cinematography in such a short amount of time. But it's impossible to do it perfectly. You won't be able to please everybody.
Gadsden

Re: EVOLUTION of FILM

Postby Ben Chiu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 am

Gadsden wrote:This video is a pretty decent attempt at trying to sum up cinematography in such a short amount of time. But it's impossible to do it perfectly. You won't be able to please everybody.

Absolutely! 100% agree. My comment is more inline with I wish I knew why some clips were included so I can better understand its significance in cinematic history.

Speaking of which, I watched SUNSET BOULEVARD last night--a haunting Hollywood History is how I'd sum it up! Even though we referenced it in film school, a just learned of more trivia about the production and people involved which makes it even more clever-er (is that a word?!) than I thought it was before. There's such a fine line between good and too smart for its own good, but this one worked. It's unfortunate that it's so creepy at times that has turned people off from even attempting to watch it. I'm not sure if the fact that it's been parodied so much hurts it or helps it...
Ben Chiu

Return to Talk about movies!