STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

We are movie fans of all movies!

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

Postby Ben Chiu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:46 am

DISCLAIMER: I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I've seen every episode of Star Trek from every Star Trek spin off and every Star Trek Movie. I've even been to a Star Trek convention in the mid 70's and attended the Star Trek memorabilia tour 6 or 7 years ago.

That said, while I really enjoyed seeing Benedict Cumberbatch show more of his range (I'm used to seeing him play SHERLOCK), for me the rest was disappointing and annoying. I did see the first STAR TREK reboot and enjoyed it for the most part, but the story holes always bothered me. I suppose my excitement over the prospect that the franchise would continue helped me live with the gaps in logic (reference to Spock's nomenclature is purely incidental). However, INTO DARKNESS crosses too many lines for me and I've lost hope that my beloved Star Trek will live on as I knew it. Let me explain (and I won't even go into my rant about lens flares!).

For me, the thing that made Star Trek different from all other sci-fi's was science was actually a part of it all and logic was more than a characterization of one of the main characters. So the stories made sense and the possibilities made the prospects of the future through technology seductive. INTO DARKNESS puts these things in the back seat behind visual effects and action.

Of course, I get that for many today all they want is action and they don't want to think any deeper than that. I get it. But for me, I need more than that--especially since I've seen what's possible in the Star Trek world, it's a case of I can't go back now. But for the masses who were never Star Trek fans previously, it's obviously a clean break from the past and it works for them. That's great, but it doesn't work for a dinosaur like myself.

I've been teetering on my opinion of JJ Abrahms since he first burst onto screens small and large, INTO DARKNESS seals it for me--he is not of the same caliber as the great directors some have compared him to. He is no Spielberg. He is no Hitchcock, Scorsese or Kubrick. But he makes money and his work appeals to a wide audience. I guess I'm in the minority and my hope for the upcoming STAR WARS sequels is waning even though logic isn't a big factor for me with that world.
Ben
===============
~Imagining a world without hypothetical situations...
Ben Chiu

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

Postby Ben Chiu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:11 pm

Slightly related to my thoughts on STID, J.J. Abrams Knows He's a Lens Flare Addict and He Apologizes for It...

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/569755-exclusive-j-j-abrams-apologizes-for-his-lens-flares
Ben Chiu

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

Postby Ben Chiu » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:38 pm

‘Star Trek 3′ Orbits Director Joe Cornish

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/star-trek-3-orbits-director-joe-cornish-191812214.html

Be sure to read the comments. I guess I'm not the only one that feels like I do.

BTW, I know you guys are reading this stuff here (some threads have over a 1000 views!) because you email, call, or when we meet in person, we talk about this stuff. I know some of you are shy and feel self conscious about posting, so I'm thinking that some of you might like to voice chat with us on our regularly scheduled chat sessions. I'll post details on how and when we meet. Hope to see (or hear) you guys soon.
Ben Chiu

Return to Other Movies