OBLIVION

We are movie fans of all movies!

OBLIVION

Postby Ben Chiu » Sat May 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Caught this one at The Galaxy. (What an awesome place to see a movie like this!)

I'll say that I liked OBLIVION. It's one of the better movies I've seen lately. I don't think it'll go down in history as an all-time great, but my wife and I chatted about it a little afterwards. Which in my criteria of why I like movies or don't like them is a good thing, but it was more of a discussion about how similar it was to other movies we've seen. I'll get to that in a minute (which I'll make use of our new spoiler feature!). :D

As a filmmaker, and an indie one at that, I really liked that there were so few actors/characters. I really respect that from a practical and artistic POV.

The cinematographer in me very quickly noted how hard that movie would be to shoot as it's not mostly CGI as is becoming more and more common. Shooting stuff in locations with lots of glass and shiny things is always a challenge, but the filmmakers did a lot of interesting (and expensive) things to make it work.

Because we have a lot of experience with SONY digital imaging products, we're on their various marketing lists, I knew this was the first movie to be shot on SONY's latest and greatest 4K camera, the F65. While I have never played with any of the latest 4K cameras, the low light capability and dynamic range of these things is outright amazing. The tech has made capture better than film. What's special about this latest generation of tools is they give you options. This trend continues in ways that are mind-boggling, but I'll leave that discussion for another area of the Forums.

Anyway, back to OBLIVION.

[+] Story elements in OBLIVION seen before
MOON, IMPOSTER - Clones/replicata don't know they're Clones/Replicas
THE MATRIX - Aliens take over Earth for its resources while the main character doesn't know it
TERMINATOR series - autonomous human killing machines
INDEPENDANCE DAY - one small ship goes in to drop off a bomb on an alien mothership
STAR WARS - Air combat in a trench
I had a few more, but they escape me for the moment.

And...

[+] Tom Cruise elements seen before
TOP GUN - aviator glasses, "hit the brakes and he'll fly right by" tactic

I probably missed a few. If you can think of any let's hear 'em!
Ben
===============
~Imagining a world without hypothetical situations...
Ben Chiu

Return to Other Movies