DARK SHADOWS

We are movie fans of all movies!

DARK SHADOWS

Postby Ben Chiu » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:22 pm

I don't particularly care for a lot of Tim Burton's work. While I consider his style borderline genius, I don't get a thrill out of macabre, dark, crazy-weird and/or creepy things, so that probably has a lot to do with my attitude about most of his movies. There have a been a couple that I've watched, but I've lost interest in most of it his other works and don't recall sitting through the bulk of them.

Then there's Johnny Depp. I tend to like watching his work. He's got a dedication to character ("immersion" comes to mind) that few can muster. However, I've found my fondness for Johnny is lost when mixed with Tim Burton's visions (nightmares?). So while I can recall watching DARK SHADOWS (DS) on TV when I was a kid, I was too young to grasp what was going on. I couldn't recall much other than the names of a couple of the main characters and the images of the cliffs and waves. So as an adult, while I knew this was a reboot of sorts, I figured at the very least I might be able to piece together what the story of the TV show was all about.

I don't recall how DS did, but I really liked this movie. I think it's because the creepy Tim Burton stuff was turned down a few notches to the level of The Aadams Family and The Munsters--which is used for comedy rather than shock value. There weren't really many laugh out loud bits, but DS was amusing enough to keep my attention. Of course, Michelle Pfeifer (is she one of the most beautiful women to ever live or what?), helped to that end as well.

DS is a silly movie, but I liked it/had fun watching it.
Ben
===============
~Imagining a world without hypothetical situations...
Ben Chiu

Return to Other Movies