Facebook comment feature

Facebook comment feature

Postby Ben Chiu » Wed May 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Hmm, perhaps the Facebook comment feature isn't such a good idea. What happens is people reply to a post using the Facebook comment feature which starts a whole other thread--which isn't really too bad, but the digest feature doesn't pick up those posts--so people like me never see that someone replied.

I'll see if we can add/hack the digest feature to make it grab those. I suppose we could just move the comment box all the way down the page and put a note on it.
Ben
===============
~Imagining a world without hypothetical situations...
Ben Chiu

Re: Facebook comment feature

Postby Ben Chiu » Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 pm

OK, after thinking about the multiple thread issue, I think the best course of action is to remove the Facebook comment box and add some share buttons instead. This way you can share a post, but any replies have to be made on the Forums, which will keep the threads intact and everything within the digests.

The biggest problem was that although people replied through Facebook, people who rely on the digest never saw any replies from Facebook. Then, as we discussed, you'd have two sets of messages--which defeats the whole purpose of the Forum.

So what I did was:

1. Remove the Facebook comment featre
2. Added Share buttons for Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Google+. (I can add others, but I think this covers the biggies.) Just look just below the first post in a thread for the addition.

What I think we're missing now is the ability to login using Facebook. I think this will help our friends on Facebook make the transition. Once you're registered, it's easy. So if we can make it easy to register, it should be a no-brainer.
Ben Chiu

Return to Forum News