Story: How important is it?

Story: How important is it?

Postby Ben Chiu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Perhaps I'm a dinosaur--

I still feel story is the most important element in many art forms. And for movies, well, for me, story continues to be king.

The lack of story has been a point of criticism for many movies produced, well since the very beginning, but I'm starting to think that we as a society are becoming accustomed to weak or even non-existent stories. So what I'm interested in knowing is what everyone thinks about this.

What I suggest is audiences can forgive the lack of story/have become less sensitive to lack of story than they are to other elements of movies like special effects, music, stylized cinematography, star power, etc.. Of course this flies in the face of recent article we posted on the Alliance Digital Entertainment web site regarding the poor performance at the box office in China with American blockbusters "Hollywood movies may be too dumb for China" https://alliancedigitalentertainment.com/cgi-bin/blog/2013/04/24/hollywood-movies-may-be-too-dumb-for-china/

Because people vote with their wallets, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that perhaps the age when story matters may be over. Am I right? Let me know what you think.
Ben
===============
~Imagining a world without hypothetical situations...
Ben Chiu

Return to Screenwriting